Monday, September 1, 2014

Not a Whovian

In most other ways I'm such a geek, but I've never, never been able to get into Dr Who (I think I've been asked to try every decade it's been on since the 70s). The latest attempt is with Capaldi, the new Who. I watched the first episode with my son and thought "okay, a little hokier than I would have expected, but maybe I can do this." But by the second episode I was bored about halfway through. Riddled with private jokes that pander to the long-time fans, filled with special effects that I thought were kinda lame in this day and age, and with a plot that made no sense (when he lands his Tardis on a battle-space-ship and is told to either help the Dalek against his will or be killed, Dr Who is allowed back into his Tardis to get help -- why didn't he just leave the ship? Oy), I got up to do laundry about halfway through and left it to my son. I give up.

I really think it's like a lot of shows and movies -- if you enjoyed it as a teen, you can still enjoy the corniness in later years. If not, it's hard to appreciate it starting in your forties, no matter how young-at-heart you are. I know -- I like lots of crap because I loved it as a kid :) But there is such better sci-fi out there -- or at least better, more clever geek-culture offerings -- in my honest opinion. So forgive me, fellow Comic-Con-ers, I just can't do it. But I'll fake it and still give Dalek cosplayers a thumbs-up. Maybe even knit my son an old-school Baker-esque scarf someday for fun while he sums up the best parts of each episode for me over a butterbeer. As long as I don't have to actually watch the show anymore. :)

UPDATE: January 2015
My son doesn't watch it anymore, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment